Wednesday, January 27, 2021

50 State Quest 2020 Update

 


In my last 50 state update I commented that we always plan our races in pencil, as we never know what the future may bring. I said that long before Covid-19!

We did manage to run marathons in 2020, but none of the ones we planned. The one that hurt the most was our big trip planned for Alaska. We did make it to a race in Idaho, but I only ran the half due to injury. Idaho still haunts me! (I broke my foot before the one planned a few years ago). We got creative and went with a trail race in Kansas, since trail races had a better chance of happening than road races. Just before the pandemic hit hard (Feb) Jamie ran Louisiana, and she squeezed in Nebraska just 2 weeks before Kansas! In December it was a Christmas miracle, as my Mississippi marathon was seemingly the only race that didn't get canceled. Completing this one was extra special because I got iced out of Jackson a few years ago!

So now Jamie and I are tied with 12 marathons to go! We both have 9 marathons to run that are the same, and then we each have to run 3 that the other has already ran, so as you can see the planning is quite challenging, even without a pandemic to work with.

Spring 2021 is already iffy, as a lot of races have already canceled or postponed until the fall. We have no idea what we will be running! The fall may be easier to plan, as it appears that "normalcy" may start returning then, but you just never know. Hence, all plans are in pencil...




No comments:

Post a Comment