Friday, July 26, 2019

50 State Quest: Time for an update



So far this year I've managed to color in a couple of the "bigger" states, which makes my map look a tad more impressive. Having 15 more to go may sound achievable, but sometimes I wonder! Oh well, for now the quest is still fun, so onward we go!

I'm excited about running marathons in most of the remaining states. I have some pretty decent ones lined up for Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Indiana, Michigan, and South Dakota. I have some ideas on races that will be ok enough for Nebraska, Kentucky, Kansas, Idaho, Alaska and Mississippi. And of course Hawaii will be the last one, so it will be what it will be!

The only states remaining that give me pause are New Mexico and Wyoming. My primary issue of course is altitude, which I don't handle well. The Merit Race Series has introduced a new downhill point to point course in New Mexico, but it includes a net elevation loss of 4500 feet! So another thing I have issues with is extreme downhill, so pick your poison! As for Wyoming, the only grand plan I have is to spend a week in Fort Collins then drive to Cheyenne and do the marathon that week-end, hoping enough acclimatization has kicked in by then...

Jamie is still moving forward with 17 to go, and for now we are still on course for the grand finale in 2025. We know that "life" happens, so the calendar is marked in pencil, but hey, it just might happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment