Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Embracing the Heat





Here we go again! Such is the torture of the Texas marathoner who has sights set on a fall marathon... Fall marathons require training in this gawd-awful heat! And let me tell you, it is tough, as in big-girl panties tough, as if training for a marathon isn't tough enough already. This is serious business. If you've never trained for a marathon in this heat, then listen up. I made a list of things to consider.

1. Pick a winter or spring marathon instead so you can train in weather fit for humans.

Yeah, I know, most of the good ones are in the fall. Here is just an example of what our group is training for: Chicago, New York City, Kansas City, St. George, and Twin Cities. Marathons in October and November are going to require most, if not all of your long runs to be in the heat. Just expect that.

2. If you insist on a fall marathon then get your head around the heat.

As Ginna and Sara say, "Embrace the heat".  Every year I tell myself that I am not going to crack--that I am going to hang tough and stay positive, knowing that the heat is only making me tougher, and if I lived on the west coast I'd turn into a wimp in no time--so pointless it would be to live where all you had were cool ocean breezes and marine layer fog and AHHHHH!!! I HATE TEXAS IN THE SUMMER!!! Crack....I crack every single summer, but hey, this year I vow to crack very very late into it....

3. You must CARRY FLUIDS.

Even if you are looping at the lake, where there is a water source every couple of miles you have to carry fluids. The other day I ran a loop (9 miles) with water stops AND my water bottle and when I got home I still lost 2 pounds. I am still training to drink more than I usually do--it's harder than you think to get this right. You must weigh yourself before and after the long runs initially to be sure you are drinking enough. You cannot compare yourself to your friends, as some sweat way more than others. Also, you need to get the electrolytes right. I take electrolyte pills and drink Gatorade. What I do works for me, but not necessarily someone else. You have to experiment with different products. So figure out how to carry your fluids, either hand-held or strapped on. If you think it's uncool, well you know what's even more uncool? You, lying on the side of the road.

4. Expect it to suck.

There will be long runs that will go OK and you will breathe a sigh of relief, like, "yeah I got this". And then the next run will leave you reduced to a whimper. It's just the way it is. Don't try to analyze it. Just accept it. Don't let it get at you mentally to where you think you need a "re-do" on the run because it was way slower or required a lot of walking. If you had to cut it short because you were feeling dizzy (and you do know that you need to STOP if you get dizzy right?), then here's an idea that has worked for me. If the heat is getting to me on a long run to where I am getting dizzy then I cut it short and finish the run on a treadmill in the gym. I've only had to do this twice, but I keep everything in the car just in case it happens. It is NOT FUN, but it gets done, and that's the name of the game here. The runs will be slower than you want. You will doubt your ability to run a marathon. At the very least you will doubt your marathon goal pace. I recall one summer where our first blast of cool air was when we arrived in Pennsylvania for the marathon! It's always nice to catch a break with a summer storm or an unexpected cold front, but don't count on it. When it happens though, euphoria!

5. Suffer with friends.

It's sick, but our summer runs are kind of fun. We have fond memories and wow, just crazy war stories from summer's past that leave us laughing now. And talk about bragging rights on how tough we are. I know I couldn't do it alone. I've had several  friends who, while telling me an engrossing story, got me through a very rough patch, or vice versa. We make interesting routes and pick up people along the way (called "fresh meat"). We have even broke out into song....I've had to run solo on some long runs and I can do it, but it is a lot harder. Still, sometimes if I am feeling bad I slow down and let the group go. Being by yourself during a rough patch is OK too if you need to slow down and take in whatever you need to get you back on track.

6. Things to try:

There are lots of products out there to test out, whether it be for chafing, keeping you cool, etc. Sara is carrying this towel called "Enduracool Instant cooling towel". She snaps it and amazingly enough it gets cold! I've also heard positive things about a sweat-activated cooling fabric by Columbia. There's also a lot to be said for ice baths--not just for faster recovery, but to help bring your core temperature down. One summer we had a small kiddie pool and some bags of ice waiting for us after our long runs. Maybe we need to do that again this year. I'm trying coconut water for pre-hydration this time around. With its high potassium content maybe I can back off on the bananas! Lots of fun stuff out there.

And so it begins...the training programs are written. The "Spring break" is over. Let's get to it!

Having fun?






3 comments:

  1. Love, love to hear your comments on running. As you say, what works for one may not for the other. But I'm always open to hearing. Maybe not doing, but I always want to hear. So thanks so much for saying. :-)

    Coconut water. I'm going to sample it again, but the sip I had from the coconut was NOT good. Maybe too pure?

    I got my 10ounce jugs to strap on the other day. I figured I needed big jugs to make it the longer miles. :-)

    Happy running!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For sure--let's keep chatting as we progress. I think coconut water tastes nasty! I have some with guava and some with chocolate, which is better than pure! I will see if it makes a difference or not. I have 13 to run tomorrow and hope to feel good the whole way, but it is cooler than "normal". I seem to struggle when we get into the 80's. I am a heavy sweater, and it pisses me off, but it is what it is! I strap my fluids on too--can't carry anything in my hands. I tried and tried, but it bugs me too much....Indeed, happy running...I am kind of excited too..not normal, but that excitement will get us through!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this post! I am still trying very hard to embrace the heat. The towel is helpful-I hope others will try it. Every little bit helps!!

    ReplyDelete