Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Marathon #26: ING Hartford Marathon 2009

Finish line arch

Luckily I had previously posted a write up for this one, so here goes. The course has changed some since then, but for the better, and the reviews continue to be positive.

This is what I submitted to marathonguide.com after running the marathon in 2009:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Overall, I would highly recommend this marathon.
From a logistical standpoint it's an easy destination city for a marathon—everything is centrally located and within walking distance from any downtown hotel. (Or use of the Star shuttle).
Runners received their packet material in a nice drawstring bag. We received a long sleeved cotton T shirt as well. There was plenty of Hartford marathon apparel and novelties available for purchase.
The race starts and finishes in Bushnell park, which is gorgeous.
The organization of the start could be improved. Starting the half and full together was a little crowded in the first few miles, but not too bad.
There are ample water stops on this course, as well as Hammer Gels being handed out. Hartford, A++ on the stops!
The last 10K has some hills! As you head back into town be prepared for the hills and the seemingly never-ending rounding of the park to the final turn through the arches. Even so, the last 10K has some scenic stretches along the river, and the finish under the arches is just incredible.
The finish line was pretty well organized, except for running out of beer early on. I'd like to suggest they put some aside for the marathoners ahead of time. The finish line water fountain is a neat idea...but...when I finish I prefer not to hover over a fountain. They handed out plastic bottles for you to fill. I'd like to suggest they fill the bottles beforehand and hand you those instead.
The finisher's medals are large and pretty. They had an awesome band at the finish line! Very nice day, thanks Hartford!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now, the not so objective version....

They ran out of beer, those b*stards!! ... hee hee...

We all met at the capitol building stairs: Zac, Bill, Kathy, Mike, Toby, and myself. Mike and Toby ran the half. It was in the low 60's at the start, very wet and steamy...we knew it wasn't going to be pretty, but here's the great part...we just ran along and enjoyed ourselves anyway. At least for the first half...Can you say denial? Seriously, it was just such a pretty run. At one point the winds were picking up, causing autumn leaves to swirl in the air. A lot of the houses already had Halloween decorations out. Lots of people were out in their lawns or along the streets to cheer us on. It was a very friendly atmosphere. As long as it remained cloudy we were ok...and that's when the sun came out...

The second half of the race became more about survival and less about enjoying the day, although, God help me, I did try. We all had split from each other at this point, but it was still comforting to know your friends were among you, roughly experiencing what you were. For me, I was sweating too much early on and was being miserly with my electrolyte pills. My right foot started cramping at mile 14. UH-OH. So I stopped at mile 16's water stop and took out all but one pill, and then guzzled down everything I could get my hands on for the remainder of the race. The cramps subsided, and the sun went back into the clouds, so my spirits lifted after that freak out period. Plus, I got to mile 20, which mentally, is a great place for me. (Physically, not so much). Why the 20 mile marker makes me want to jump and shout is beside me! Do I really think I COULD physically crawl on my hands and knees for 6 miles if I had to???

And this last 10K...ow ow OW. I went from my B plan to my C plan, and don't even want to think I thought about the D plan in a matter of minutes. Bill had come flying by me somewhere along here--that's how you rock it Bill! No way did I even think about trying to hitch onto that. I took my last freaking pill and soldiered on.  Suddenly, there was Toby, running along beside me with the video camera. I still have no idea what I said, and moments later, there he was again on a hill a second time. I almost missed him entirely. I was so confused, but the course must have circled back in order for him to do that. (DUH). I was still trying to break 4 hours, but I could tell I was coming up short, so I refocused on what was important. I thought about my friends and how crazy we all are and how much agony we share, and how funny it is that it comes down to this! We rounded that park for an eternity, and I swear barf came up in my throat, which has never happened to me before! It totally freaked me out! I would have been horrified...down boy! So I really backed it down as we FINALLY rounded the corner into the park and under the giant arches to the finish....4:03....I'll take it!

We all regrouped and got with Mike, who was on a mission to snag as many beer tickets as he could (we joked about plucking them from fallen runners in the medical tent)...but to our dismay they ran out of beer! So we hobbled back to their room for beers (and our group grew at this point. I'm still unsure who those people were)...I gave Mike my beer ticket, ha!

The next morning it was perfectly sunny and 40 degrees....It figures!!

Could be worse...could be projectile vomiting!

Check out the bling!


Bushnell Park


No comments:

Post a Comment